Mihaly Czikszentmihalyi asks, "What makes a life worth living?" Noting that money cannot make us happy, he looks to those who find pleasure and lasting satisfaction in activities that bring about a state of "flow."
~ From “Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: Creativity, fulfillment and flow,” TED Talks (Filmed Feb. 2004, Posted Oct. 2008))
How does it feel to be in flow?
- Completely involved in what we are doing—focused, concentrated.
- A sense of ecstasy—of being outside everyday reality.
- Greater inner clarity—knowing what needs to be done and how well we are doing.
- Knowing that the activity is doable—that our skills are adequate to the task.
- A sense of serenity—no worries about oneself, and a feeling of growing beyond the boundaries of the ego.
- Timelessness—thoroughly focused on the present, hours seem to pass by in minutes.
- Intrinsic motivation—whatever produces flow becomes its own reward.