Attentional Fitness Training: Becoming More at Home in Your Life with Mindfulness
Just as physical exercise increases strength, flexibility, and endurance, mindfulness exercises develop specific skills of attention that nurture a deeper level of personal contentment.
These classes and practice sessions provide exercises to help you feel more at home in your body, mind, and the world around you.
Why attend a class?
- To expand your definition of meditation with an emphasis on practical strategies
- To recognize the skills of attention that can be developed with mindfulness practice
- To dispel myths and erode obstacles that prevent people from practicing consistently
- To learn strategies for cultivating attention that fit your unique needs, interests, and challenges
- To discover ways to cultivate emotional warmth toward yourself and others
- To clarify the difference and relationship between discomfort and suffering
- To clarify the difference and relationship between pleasure and satisfaction
- To learn ways to feel at home in your life regardless of the changing conditions outside your control
Sign up to receive monthly newsletters and quarterly announcements of upcoming classes by email.
Feeling More at Home in Your Life with Mindfulness
An exploration of the methods and benefits of this practice designed for people living with cancer and the people who caring for them. Perfect for beginners and previous students interested in a review.
Date: Saturday, April 5
Time: 9:00am — 12:00pm
Location: JamesCare Survivorship, Stoneridge Medical Center, 4049 W. Dublin-Granville Road [directions]
Register by calling The James Line at 614-293-5066 (toll-free, 800-293-5066)
Rest & Relaxation: Find It with Mindfulness
Discover how to find and create restful states in order reduce stress, decrease pain and fully enjoy life. In addition to physical relaxation, many forms of rest are naturally present throughout your day. Learn to identify these opportunities and create beneficial periods of rest in the midst of your daily routine. This short session serves as a great introduction to mindfulness and an interesting refresher for experienced practitioners.
Dates: Wednesday, April 9
Time: 7:00pm — 9:00pm
Fee: $45 for Upper Arlington Residents / $54 for others. Register online (Class 441372 B) or by calling 614-583-5333
Mindfulness Practice Sessions
Mindfulness is usually practiced alone, but many people feel motivated and energized by practicing with others. There is time for guided practice as well as practice in silence. We address questions and clarify concepts and expectations about developing a consistent mindfulness practice. All experience levels and meditation strategies are welcome. Chairs are available, but bring your own gear if you prefer.
Offering three four-week blocks this spring. Sign up for one, two, or all three. If you aren't able to make a session in a particular block, you are welcome to drop in during another block at your convenience.
Block A Wednesdays, April 16 through May 7
Block B Wednesdays, May 28 through June 18
Block C Wednesdays, July 16 through August 13 (skipping August 6)
Time: 7:00pm — 8:30pm
Fee: $45 for Upper Arlington Residents / $54 for others. Register online (Class 441372 A) or by calling 614-583-5333